Is it really possible to eat more and weigh less? Sure it is! For those of us who find it hard not to eat in between meals when trying to lose weight, snacking is a great solution.
When you eat too little and you’re constantly hungry, your body can go into a state of famine. This slows metabolism and makes it easier to pack on the extra weight.
Eating small, frequent snacks keeps your metabolism revved up and helps normalise your blood sugar. However, it’s important to remember that this doesn’t give you permission to eat whatever you want.
6 (important!) tips to lose weight with healthy snacking
1. Eating frequently is the easy part; the hard part is keeping the meals small. Eat small meals every three to five hours to help resist the urge to overeat.
2. Always keep healthy snacks on hand. The best way to avoid eating food that you shouldn’t is to not keep any around.
3. The type of snack food you choose makes a massive difference. Foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, low-fat dairy products, whole grains, and legumes are satisfying and are packed with the nutrients, fiber, and protein your body needs.
4. Remember to always compensate for your snacks by eating less at your next meal.
5. Try eating more during active times of the day. Matching your intake with your output will help with your weight-control goals.
6. Be extra careful of liquid kilojoules, as they’re even more difficult to compensate for than other snacks.