THE 5 MAIN CAUSES OF CELLULITE
And how to get rid of it…
by Carla Smith (Fitness Expert)
It’s one of those things that nobody likes to talk about. But understanding what causes cellulite goes a long way toward knowing what you can do to reduce the appearance of it.
What is cellulite?
Cellulite is fatty deposits that form pockets below the skin’s surface. The dimpled appearance is caused by these fat deposits lying very close to the skin’s surface. Cellulite causes a decrease in the skin’s elasticity and causes the skin to have an orange peel effect. While it’s predominantly women who tend to get cellulite around the stomach, hips, arms, thighs and buttocks, some men have also been known to have the same problem.
There are 5 main factors that cause cellulite:
1. Genetics, gender, race, metabolism, the distribution of fat under the skin and your circulation play a very important role.
2. Hormones such as estrogen, insulin, noradrenaline, thyroid hormones and prolactin are also contributors.
3. A diet that consists of too much unhealthy carbohydrates, salt and very little fibre.
4. Smoking and lack of exercise, or sitting and standing for long periods of time.
5. Tight clothing that stops circulation and causes fatty deposits.
So what can be done to combat cellulite?
Start with following a healthy diet. The following foods contain high levels of Vitamin E, B, A, C and essential fatty acids, which can help with the appearance of cellulite:
- – Asparagus
- – Avocado
- – Banana
- – Beans
- – Berries
- – Bran and oats
- – Broccoli
- – Citrus fruit
- – Nuts
- – Salmon, Mackerel
- – Onions
- – Pineapples
- – Watermelon
A good exercise plan is also very important. Try these cellulite-busting moves and try to run, cycle, swim, skip or dance at least 4–5 times a week for 45 minutes.